U.S. completes ‘takedown’ of Medicare fraud: officials
U.S. law enforcement officials have charged 301 suspects with trying to defraud Medicare and other federal insurance programs in 2016, marking the “largest takedown” involving health care fraud allegations, the Justice Department said on Wednesday.
The national sweep resulted in charges against doctors, nurses, pharmacists and physical therapists accused of fraud that cost the government $900 million, the department said.
The cases involved an array of charges, including conspiracy to commit health care fraud, money laundering and violations of an anti-kickback law.
This year’s sweep exceeded last year’s record in which 243 defendants faced charges in a combined $712 million in government losses. Officials said…
View original post 387 more words